William H. Cobb
William Henry Cobb served as the Librarian at the Congregational Library from 1887-1923, during which time he also served as assistant treasurer of the American Congregational Association.
Born in April of 1846 in what is now Marion, Massachusetts, William attended Amherst College, graduating in 1867, studied theology at Princeton Theological seminary, and graduated from Andover Theological Seminary in 1872. He was both married (to Emily Wiggins of Philadelphia, PA) and ordained that same year and went on to serve parishes in Chiltonville, Medfield, and Uxbridge until being hired as Librarian in 1887.
While holding that office, Dr. Cobb advocated for the building of a new Congregational House and saw the building at 14 Beacon Street built and dedicated. He sought to strengthen the Puritan and Pilgrim literature collections (which, under his tenure grew to include some 3,000 volumes). Dr. Cobb was responsible for the procurement of the S. Brainerd Pratt Collection, much of which is on display in the Pratt Room today. He also wrote and published several books, sermons, and articles, including Seven centuries illustrated in the Congregational library. He died "in office" while working on yet another book. The library holds two of his sermons, in addition to Seven centuries.