The Murlin Heights Congregation, established 1847, started out within the Christian denomination. The church's first parsonage was constructed in 1917 allowing for permanent residence for pastors. Dayton was a focal point for Christian leadership, from which Murlin Heights benefited in the church's early years, particularly from McDaniel Howsare, who served as the denomination's secretary of evangelism and life service and Roy Sparks, secretary of home missions. It was a rural church for several decades until Dayton industrialized. It identified as having rural roots and location, but had blue and white collar members in the congregation. The congregation did join the United Church of Christ in 1957. The church struggled with financial concerns and closed in 2011.
This is one of our "MPLP" collections, so it is not fully processed, only accessioned and described as we received it. Because of that, the precise year scope of the collection has not been fully determined. The information we received indicates that it contains materials dating 1948-2011. There are 17 boxes of materials including subject files, annual reports, executive board minutes and reports, Sunday bulletins, newsletters, membership records, and financial records. This collection is now open for research. For more detailed descriptions, see the finding guide on our website.